AMWA Member Spotlight - Eve Vickerson
Name: Eve Vickerson
Where can we find you online?
AMWA directory listing: https://www.medicalwriters.org/community/contact/184/
1. Brief description of what you do
I’m a freelance medical writer and marketing consultant based in Brisbane. I specialise in creating clear, caring and credible health content.
2. What led you to become a medical writer?
As the marketing manager of a major hospital research foundation, I found that a crucial piece of health marketing success is to create regular, engaging content.
It takes time, and that’s precisely what I didn’t have.
Then came the realisation:
There must be others out there who want to create good quality health content but don’t have the time or resources to do it. I could help them!
3. What do you enjoy most about being a medical writer?
That the learning never stops. I also enjoy the challenge of transforming complex ideas into easily digestible content.
4. What has been one of your career highlights as a medical writer and why?
I started my own business as a medical writer and then got my first client. It meant ‘I’d made it’.
5. What has been one of the greatest challenges for you as a medical writer and how have you addressed this?
The old imposter syndrome. Because I don't have a health or science-related degree, I thought I couldn’t write about health. But I realised this wasn’t the case after speaking to a mentor that AMWA arranged for me.
6. What advice would you give fellow writers or people considering a career in medical writing?
Join AMWA, of course :) It also helps to focus on building your portfolio from the start, even if that means writing your own articles and
using them to showcase your skills. Everyone has to start somewhere.
7. What led you to join the AMWA executive committee?
I joined the AMWA executive committee because I wanted to meet:
- More medical writers;
- Learn from more experienced medical writers; and
- Get insights into different types of medical writing.