AMWA Early Career Award
AMWA supports the professional development of writers and editors who develop health and medical content for the mainstream press, consumers and health professionals.
To help aspiring writers enter the field of medical writing, AMWA facilitates an annual Early Career Award.
About the Early Career Award
The AMWA Early Career Award aims to assist members transition from tertiary education or other employment to a career in medical writing.
AMWA members with fewer than two years’ experience in medical writing are encouraged to apply.
Applicants for the AMWA Early Career Award will be assessed on a piece of writing of approximately 1000 words.
Submissions should focus on a topic that is strongly related to medicine and/or health.
Applicants must be current members of AMWA and the sole author of the work they submit (previously published pieces may be submitted).
Benefits of the Early Career Award
- $1000 cash prize
- Complimentary registration to the AMWA 2022 Annual Conference
- Publicity via the AMWA website, e-newsletter and social media channels
- Advice and support from AMWA members already established in the field of medical writing
Applicants should include a short personal biography, i.e. no more than 400 words, detailing:
- Why they are interested in medical writing
- Any previous writing experience they have had
- What they hope to achieve in their career as a medical writer
- What role they see medical writers as having in society
Judging criteria include:
- Ability to convey the importance of the topic to the intended audience
- Interest, appeal and relevance
- Accuracy and objectivity
- Writing ability
Applications for the 2022 Early Career Award are now closed. Stay tuned for details of the 2023 Early Career Award applications, which will open in late 2022.