2015 Annual Conference
AMWA’s 32nd annual conference to be held in Brisbane on Friday 28 and Saturday 29 August, 2015, will comprise the usual great mix of medical topics, professional issues, workshops and networking opportunities with the theme Making Choices: Living, Working, Dying.
Register online now now
Download conference program
Brisbane welcome reception
All delegates attending the 2015 conference will receive a very welcome reception at this aptly named pre-conference gathering. On the night before the conference proper, don’t miss this fabulous chance to meet AMWA members in a relaxed atmosphere; interstate travellers and introverts are particularly encouraged!
The Plough Inn is an attractive 19th century tavern in Southbank, just a couple of minutes’ walk from the conference venue, and our event is free for all conference attendees. We’ll have our own space upstairs, and will provide drinks and nibbles – you just need to turn up. No friendlier way to spend your first night in Brisbane.
Where: The Plough Inn Pub, Building 29, Stanley Street Plaza, Southbank. View location on map.
When: Thursday 27 August, 6-8pm.
Cost: Free to conference delegates and speakers. $30 for extra tickets (pay at door).
Announcing an extra speaker
Dr Sean Lawrence will join Professor Malcolm Parker and Bianca Nogrady in Session 1: Death – law, ethics and public opinion.
Dr Lawrence, emergency physician at Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane. Dealing with end of life issues is an important part of practicing in any branch of acute medicine. His interest in this area was initially stimulated by direct involvement in a challenging end of life case leading to a Coroner’s Investigation (the Woo case). His ongoing interest lies in the meeting the challenge of delivering, and training others, in quality end of life care.
Change of speaker in Session 4
Pathways to medical writing – personal stories. Michelle Guillemard will replace Sarah Winch.
Michelle, the founder and editor of Health Writer Hub, will share her journey from travel copywriter to full-time medical writer. Michelle, who is also AMWA’s webmaster, will explain how she set up and continues to run her successful, family-friendly, freelance medical writing business Purely Content.
Download workshop program
Dinner with Roly Sussex – educational and inevitably entertaining!
Roly is a Professorial Research Fellow at the Institute for Teaching and Learning Innovation and an emeritus professor of Applied Language Studies at the School of Languages and Comparative Cultural Studies of the University of Queensland. He contributes to ABC radio language programs including A Word in Your Ear and writes a column for the Courier-Mail. The ABC offers 60 second gems from Roly’s Word For Today (Wooftie) series which you can download here: http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/07/18/4049118.htm
At the annual conference dinner at The Ship Inn, Roly will regale us with his insights into the language of pain.
We are pleased to announce that this year’s early bird registration fee for AMWA members is actually cheaper than it was last year! Registration payment can be made by credit card via a secure online payment gateway. For alternate payment methods, please contact the Conference Secretariat (see below). A Tax Invoice and confirmation will be sent via email at the time of registration.
AMWA member full registration $450
Non-member full registration $530
- Member $220
- Non-member $275
- Student (full time) $120
Conference registration includes: a ticket to the Welcome Reception, lunch and afternoon tea on each day, and a satchel and program. Tickets for workshops ($120 each) and the conference dinner ($70) are also available when registering.
Annual General Meeting
View the agenda for our 2015 AGM here >
- Welcome Reception: Join the conference committee for pre-conference drinks and networking from 6-8pm on Thursday, 27 August. Tickets are included in the price of a full conference registration. Additional tickets can be purchased for $30 for other guests. Venue to be advised.
- Annual Conference Dinner: Our venue is The Ship Inn Function Room, South Bank, Corner of Stanley & Sidon Streets, South Bank Parklands. Established in 1864, and once a rowdy sailor’s drinking den, the venue has now been transformed into a Gastro Pub with views over the Parklands. Tickets are $70 for a three-course meal including limited drinks, with a cash bar available. GUEST SPEAKER: Emeritus Professor Roly Sussex, from the ABC program A Word in Your Ear.
- Cancellation Policy: Cancellations for registrations will only be accepted in writing to the Conference Secretariat. Registration cancellations made prior to 21 August 2015 will be refunded less a cancellation fee of $100 to cover administration costs. No registration refunds will be made after this date. As an alternative to cancellation, a colleague may attend in your place if the Conference Secretariat is advised.
- Insurance: Registration fees do not include insurance of any kind. It is recommended that at the time your register for the conference and book your travel you take out an insurance policy of your choice. The Conference Secretariat and AMWA cannot take any responsibility for any participant failing to arrange their own insurance.
On behalf of delegates attending the conference, accommodation options have been negotiated at two nearby hotel/apartments, each within about 10 minutes’ walk of our venues. Please note, bookings must be made direct with the property, making mention of the event name, and are subject to availability.
- Central HillCrest Apartment Hotel $138 King, $168 Hotel King, $188 one bedroom apartment. Address: 311 Vulture St, South Brisbane. Phone: 1800 678 659
- Mantra South Bank Hotel $260 studio room, $280 one bedroom apartment. Address: 161 Grey Street, South Brisbane. Phone: 07 3305 2500
Other hotels within walking distance include Rydges South Bank or options in the city (walk across the Goodwill Bridge).
For conference assistance, including registration queries, contact:
- Nikki Abercrombie CEM, Abercrombie Management. E: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: 0418 283 397
AMWA 2015-2016 Committee nomination form
Interested in nominating for the 2015-2016 Executive Committee? Download the AMWA Committee nomination form here.
In discussion with Dr Ben Bravery - 9 February 2023 in Sydney
You are invited to hear from Dr Ben Bravery, the author of 'The Patient Doctor', on Thursday 9 February 2023 from 6pm - 8pm. This event is
hosted by the Australasian Medical Writers' Association and is open to all.
Ben will be talking about his experience as a cancer patient, and how this has impacted how he now interacts with the healthcare system as a
doctor. Ben is a strong advocate for putting the patient at the heart of healthcare. This event will also be an opportunity to network and
socialise with medical writers.