The Australasian Medical Writers Association (AMWA) supports the professional development of writers and editors who publish health and medical articles in the mainstream press, electronic media and publications for health professionals.
To help aspiring writers enter the field of medical writing AMWA facilitates an annual Early-Career Award.
About the Early-Career Award
The Award will assist in the transition from tertiary education or other areas of employment into full-time medical writing. AMWA members with less than two years experience in medical writing are encouraged to apply.
Applicants for the Award will be assessed on a piece of writing of approximately 1000 words.
Submissions should focus on a topic that is strongly related to medicine and/or health.
Applicants must be current members of AMWA, the sole author of the work they submit and previously published pieces may be submitted.
Application process (applications are now closed)
Applicants should also include a short personal biography, i.e. no more than 400 words, detailing:
- Why they are interested in medical writing
- Any previous writing experience they have had
- What they hope to achieve in their career as a medical writer
- What role they see medical writers as having in society
Judging criteria will include:
- Ability to convey the importance of the topic to the intended audience
- Interest, appeal and relevance
- Accuracy and objectivity
- Writing ability
The benefits of the Early-Career Award
- Conference registration and workshop attendance plus $1000 towards travel and accommodation
- Publicity via the conference presentation and the AMWA website
- Advice and assistance from AMWA members already established in the field of medical writing
Last year’s inaugural winner of the Award, Nidhi Sodhi, found the experience to be valuable and rewarding:
“This year, as the winner of the AMWA Early Career Award I attended the conference in Melbourne. It was a fantastic event with inspiring and entertaining presentations, informative workshops, and plenty of opportunity for networking. If you’re in two minds, my advice is DO IT!!”
The Award will be formally presented to the winner at the 2019 AMWA conference in Sydney.