Special skills include:
– publication strategies for researchers: how to get your work published and also have it make a real-world difference
– translating clinical and public health jargon into lively, readable prose
– transforming bureaucratic multi-author documents into Plain English
– editing tables and graphs and engaging with designers for conceptually powerful infographics.
Publications types include: website content; patient education materials, including material for translation into other languages; clinical and policy guidelines; grant and ethics committee applications; research reports; community reports; journal articles.
Accredited editor, Institute of Professional Editors
Accredited indexer, Australian and New Zealand Society of Indexers
1976–1980 Editor and verifier on books and consumer magazines in London and Sydney
1980–1983 Freelance editor. Structural, conceptual and copy editing, indexing and proofreading of general, technical and academic books and journals for commercial and academic publishers.
1983–1988 Editor, Healthright: Journal of Women’s Health, Family Planning and Sexuality
1990–1992 Managing editor, Australian Journal of Public Health (Honorary Editor Professor Charles Kerr)
Since 1993 Freelance consultancy on:
• questionnaire development
• survey and evaluation research
• academic and scientific writing
• health science and social science editing
• journal management
• literature searching and review
• editing technical data (tables, graphs and statistics)
part-time 1993-2007 and full-time since 2016
As an academic, I have published more than 125 peer-reviewed journal articles. I have edited/managed three peer-reviewed journals and am currently on the editorial board of three others.