The Australasian Medical Writers Association (AMWA) supports the professional development of writers and editors who publish health and medical articles in the mainstream press, electronic media and publications for health professionals.
To help aspiring writers enter the field of medical writing AMWA is launching the annual Early-Career Award.
The Award will assist in the transition from tertiary education or other areas of employment into full-time medical writing. Individuals with less than two years experience in medical writing are encouraged to apply.
Applicants for the Award will be assessed on a piece of writing of approximately 1000 words.
Submissions should focus on a topic that is strongly related to medicine and/or health.
Previously published pieces may be submitted.
Applicants should also include a short personal biography, i.e. no more than 400 words, detailing:
- Why they are interested in medical writing
- Any previous writing experience they have had
- What they hope to achieve in their career as a medical writer
- What role they see medical writers as having in society
Judging criteria will include:
- Ability to convey the importance of the topic to the intended audience
- Interest, appeal and relevance
- Accuracy and objectivity
- Writing ability
The benefits of the Early-Career Award will include:
- Conference registration and workshop attendance plus $1000 towards travel and accommodation
- Publicity via the conference presentation and the AMWA website
- Advice and assistance from AMWA members already established in the field of medical writing
The Award will be formally presented to the winner at the 2018 AMWA conference in Melbourne.
Submissions for the Award will be judged by a panel comprising Dr Michael Gannon (President of the Australian Medical Association) and current members of the AMWA Executive Committee.
Entries will be accepted from August 28, 2017 and applications close on February 1, 2018.
How to enter
Terms and conditions
The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. The judges reserve the right not to select a winner. Applicants for the AMWA Early-Career Award must be current financial members of AMWA. Only one entry per applicant will be considered. Applications for the Award are confidential and will not be shared outside of the judging panel and the AMWA executive. The winner of the award agrees to allow AMWA to publish their submission and relevant personal details, including their photo, for promotional purposes. Applicants will retain copyright of their submission.